Wednesday, March 08, 2006

So I'm back...

And no doubt the servers and google indexing algorhythms missed me, even if my fictitious readers did not.

This is why. While I've long thought of myself of an active participant in democracy - at least, so far as recognizing the majority of names on the ballot each November (sad but true, that likely puts me in the upper quartile or higher of American citizens) - it wasn't until Howard Dean and 2004 that I started scarfing down blogposts, watching Crossfire, Hardball, and the like, and sending what meager financial help I can afford into the fray. Hell, I've even volunteered on an election day.

I suppose I've evolved over the past 2 years - I can't stomach Vidiot poli-blather on CNN or MSNBC much anymore (is there any greater waste of medium potential than cable news?).

But damn it all - I keep ending up the losing side. First Dean, then a near complete debacle in November (with only Barack Obama spoiling the shutout). Then Paul Hackett came tantalizingly close. Now Ciro Rodriguez. This isn't a pity post -- there are certainly many volunteers, partisans, and candidates that put forth more and consequently, hurt more.

Sure, Kos is right - we can't get discouraged. We're starting with almost nothing and taking on a corrupt, detached, and unresponsive system.

Beyond that, though -- I can't get past the idea that such a small number of people make the choices for so many. To be sure - there's every chance if primary turnout was 75% and election day 90, we might have gotten slapped even worse.

However, when you read the usual Reichwing sites, when you listen to Tom Tancredo and watch him win reelction, when you see the sleaze ooze from Tom Delay's office, but again see him continously elected --- Changing minds isn't going to get it done. Too many hearts are probably lost for good.

It's that huge number of the uninvolved and non-voting. Those cynics that insist "what's the point?". The hopeless that don't even both. If there's a way to snag 10% of them -- progressives will never lose another election.

I just have no idea how to do that.

3 Comments:

At 5:48 AM, Blogger trog69 said...

Unfortunately, my friend, that is exactly what the Repulsicans are counting on. Thus, all the contortions come election time. Especially effective when cutting off large city voters-the ones with more resources to learn about Repub. shenanigans, thus more likely to vote Dem.
As to how to cut through the apathy, I was going to write something smartass about a van and McD's, but I really feel that the best thing we can do to ensure a Dem. occupies the WH and at least 1 Legislative part is a paper trail at the voting booths! Sorry, man,but I have NOT been satisfied with anyone's explainations for the discrepancies.

 
At 4:05 PM, Anonymous Liberals Suck said...

What would you say the dems have a plan for? Do these idiots think people are going to blindly vote for them?? Dems say nothing, all they do is bitch. They are the most pessimistic bunch of people ever to live.

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Zena said...

The war against democracy in America started when they created the Electoral College. That's when the few elite politicians decide who the next president will be. They said it was to avoid a tyranny of the majority. Right...that's EXACTLY what a Democracy is. It is Of the People, For the People, and By the People.
I like ur blog. I put you on my blogroll. Hope that's ok with you. Let me know....have a great evening. Zena

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home